Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Alight stop.... focus time! :)

Here are my random thoughts on life and ministry. Hopefully something that will be of help to someone someday and if not it doesn't matter cause it's helpful for me to get this stuff out of my head. I really like the word FOCUS and agree with Marcus on how important this word is for the new leadership today. Share your comments, insights or rants and I'll try and respond often.

1. The word FOCUS. Marcus Buckingham said focus is the new leadership term to define and act upon to become an effective leader. He defines focus as 1. Filtering and 2. Sustained pressure.
What does this mean in a Youth Ministry context? It's a great concept that I'm currently pondering as I search for a new vision and purpose. My current 'vision' statement seems too vague and is really directed toward the club (church culture).
2. "The Present Future" by Reggie McNeal. I attended a seminar with uncle Reggie recently and I'm pleasantly uncomfortable with this read and his concept of becoming 'missional'. He states that the North American church has lost it's missional emphasis and is more interested in entertaining club members.
3. James Collins' article "Organizational Vision and Visionary Organizations". This article is very helpful in getting a handle on defining what vision is and how purpose and mission fit into the puzzle.
Focus, Missional, Organizational Vision... great sounding words... Lord help me follow your systems!

No comments: